“Wedding speeches are easily the worst 10 minutes of what’s supposed to be the best night of a couple’s life, but thankfully Den Pope has stepped in to disrupt the process.”
Luke Winkie, columnist, Vox Media
“I followed Den’s guidance with everything and in turn I delivered a speech that had people crying, laughing, and completely captivated with every word. I've never done public speaking before but people actually were telling me it was the BEST SPEECH THEY EVER HEARD! Seriously.”
Mark, New Jersey (read more)
“Den asked me a set of initial questions then a more in-depth list of questions I was able to answer when I had time. Then he really spent the time to get to know me and my family. During my conversations with him, he just knew the right questions to ask to draw certain stories and humor to include in my speech. He is amazing at what he does!”
Dana, Texas (read more)
“I had well over 50% of the people attending the wedding come up to me during the evening to compliment me on my speech. What a great feeling! My daughter and new son in law loved it as well. When I first decided to hire you, I thought you were a little pricey, but after going through the full DEN experience, I can honestly say the fee you charge is a real value.”
Steve, Illinois (read more)
“Den produced a father-of-bride speech that was truly on the mark! It was almost embarrassing to accept personal credit. I'd consider myself to be a perfectionist, difficult to please, and always questioning. It is without hesitation that I could not encourage Den's imagination and writing skills for that special moment or occasion. I wish I had discovered Den long ago!”
John, California (read more)
How It Works
Hi… I’m Den Pope.
Let me scoot you right past your fear, uncertainty and maybe even tiny panic attacks that set in every time you even think about wedding day.
STEP 1: Select the speech package below that meets your needs. After booking your speech, you'll immediately receive an order confirmation and a separate email from me with a few quick questions to get us started.
STEP 2: I’ll send you a discussion guide with about 15 simple yet thought-provoking questions about the bride, groom and your relationship with them.
STEP 3: After you complete your guide, I'll schedule a call with you to go deeper on some of the information. Our conversation will be totally casual and take about an hour. In addition to gathering information, I want to talk with you to get a good sense of your personality, values and character.
That's it. The process is fun and easy for you.
I create speeches for spectacular weddings in the world's most prestigious venues including:
Book Your Speech Now
PLEASE NOTE: This is a highly personal, one-to-one service, so availability is limited. Scheduling now as far out as September 2020. Book now and relax.
For great speakers
Essential Package Includes:
• A fun, warm, 100% original 6- to 9-minute speech written in your voice and personality.
• No canned jokes, tired clichés, empty praise or phony lines you hear in every wedding speech.
• Unlimited editing to ensure every word is exactly what you want to say.
• Formatted on 5" x 8" note cards that you pick up from your local FedEx Copy Center (they will charge you for printing, of course).
Speech + Coaching
If you’re nervous
Refined Package Includes:
• Everything in the Essential Package PLUS unlimited performance coaching to help you perfect your delivery, eliminate nervousness and ensure you’re cool, comfortable and ready to crush it on wedding day.
• Includes the best-kept secret in public speaking (if you're nervous, this alone will be a game-changer for you not only for this speech but every presentation for the rest of your life).
• Includes The Field Guide to Nailing Your Wedding Speech, a straightforward, 15-page book with valuable tips and strategies for rehearsing, reducing fear, using mics and other important issues to ensure you knock your speech out of the park.
Speech + Coaching + Gift Book
Ideal speech & gift
Legacy Package Includes:
• Everything in the Refined Package PLUS a 7”x 7”, four-color, hardcover gift book with the full text of your speech plus up to five photographs printed on archival-quality Mohawk Proline Paper with an eggshell-textured uncoated finish.
• Book includes a gift inscription page for you to write a short personal note that will make it a beautiful, thoughtful one-of-a-kind keepsake for the bride and groom.
• Presented in a custom black box with red looped ribbon to help lift book from box.
• Don’t underestimate the power of a well-written speech to strengthen your relationship with the bride and groom. When they take this book off the shelf 30 years from now it will bring back memories and mean something, which can’t be said for most things in life.
National Public Radio
“It can strike fear into the hearts of the best groomsmen, maids of honor, fathers and mothers of the bride: the dreaded wedding toast. But what if you could hire someone to write the toast for you? Den Pope does just that. He’s a professional wedding toast writer.” (more)
Daily Mail London
“Writing a wedding speech is a high-pressure task for anyone - no matter how witty and eloquent they are - but thankfully one wise wordsmith is here to help ensure that anything said on 'the big' day is nothing less than perfect.” (more)
“Pope spends an hour on the phone with his client, investigating the specifics of their relationship to the soon-to-be happy wife or husband. Then he uses that conversation to ghostwrite the beats of an impressive, heartfelt, and above all else, professional-sounding speech.” (more)
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens after I book my speech?
After booking you immediately receive an order confirmation then an email from me with a few questions to get started. This is a fast, easy process for you to get a funny, warm, original speech.
What information do you need to write the speech?
I’ve used The Nail Your Speech Process for nearly 20 years to gather a combination of facts, feelings and experiences. First you’ll answer a few simple but thought-provoking questions about the bride, groom and your relationship with them. Then I’ll call you to go deeper on some of the information. I also want to get a good sense of your values, character, personality and humor—all of which factor heavily into the voice of your speech.
Do I really need this? It probably won't work for me anyway.
This is a highly personalized service that will ensure your speech is the best speech of the day. If you're struggling with what to say or are an inexperienced speaker, this is for you. You don't have to continue wrestling with this alone or resort to using the same phony lines and canned jokes you hear at every wedding.
I've written speeches and coached hundreds of speakers at all age and experience levels for nearly 20 years. This process will work for you, too.
Giving a wedding speech is, for most of us, a once-in-a-lifetime honor. I will help you make it one of the best experiences of your life.
What types of wedding speeches do you write?
All of them—from best man, groom and father/mother to maid of honor, bride and bridesmaid. Each speech is different but I use the same meticulous research process to uncover and organize your thoughts, feelings and experiences. That means a speech 100% aligned with your values, personality and relationship with the bride and groom. This is the one speech only you can deliver.
Is our work together confidential?
Yes. You're in complete control. Some clients mention our work together to others, some don't. It's up to you. Regardless, I'm always working behind the scenes to help you nail your speech.
What's your background?
After earning a B.A. in communication studies and an M.A. in journalism on scholarship, I began my career in marketing agencies creating strategy and writing ads, films, speeches, books, websites and other materials for Fortune 500 companies and global nonprofits.
CEOs and other executives at client companies would often ask me to write a wedding or other speech. These execs were typically nervous about delivering their speech.
And there is a strong emotional component to weddings where, for example, a father is speaking to his daughter or a maid of honor is honoring her big sister.
I found I particularly enjoyed the work of helping people who are under pressure, short of time or doubting their abilities nail their wedding speeches.
A little more here.
Where are you based?
I'm completely digital and work with clients around the world. My home base is Chicago. I'm easy to reach day and night through email or telephone. And I promptly return emails and messages.